19th Annual Meeting: “Cuba in a World of Uncertainty”
- Annual Proceedings
- Secretary Report for 2008 – 2009 Activities
- Keynote Address by Tom Gjelten
- Oscar Espinosa Chepe’s presentation
ASCE’s Nineteenth Annual Meeting was held on July 30–August 1, 2009 at the Hilton Miami Downtown Hotel, in Miami, Florida.
The main theme for the meeting was “Cuba in a World of Uncertainty”, focusing on three sources of uncertainty:
- internal economic and political reforms;
- U.S. policy toward Cuba; and
- the impact of the global financial and economic crisis.
Papers and/or panels with these subjects were presented. ASCE also invited papers and panels on subjects related to the Cuban economy and society, including:
- banking and finance;
- agriculture and the sugar industry;
- social and political aspects of economic development;
- environmental policy;
- law and legal institutions;
- civil society;
- gender issues;
- infrastructure; and
- civil-military relations.
See Oscar Espinosa Chepe’s presentation “Crisis sobre Crisis” at the Opening Plenary on July 30, 2009.
The 2009 documentary “Under Cuban Skies” was presented on July 30. A light lunch was provided courtesy of the Cuba Study Group.
Keynote Speaker on July 31: Tom Gjelten presented a lecture on “The Bacardi Story and Cuba’s Future“. Mr. Gjelten is correspondent on economic, intelligence, and national security issues for National Public Radio. He is also author of Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba: The Biography of a Cause (Viking, 2008). See Gjelten’s presentation.